Answering God’s Call In Our Community and the World
Service to our Capitol Hill community and to the world beyond is a valued part of the life of our congregation. In addition to encouraging members to engage in their own acts of service and ministry, we regularly participate in corporate ministries led by the Outreach Committee.
Assistance for Syrian Refugees: We have been supporting Master Dong’s work in refugee camps in southern Turkey. Master Dong is a respected member of the Capitol Hill community who has run children’s activities in the neighborhood for more than a decade. Christ Church is collecting money to purchase food for the children in participating in his education/martial arts program, purchase a tent to provide relief from the harsh elements, and support funding for translation/teaching assistance. We are also collaborating with several other churches in the neighborhood to support the resettlement of a refugee family.
Among our ongoing local outreach:
- Laundry Love: Christ Church participates in a national effort to serve the poor by paying for their laundry to be done in local laundromats. On the afternoon of the first Sunday of the month, we go to Good Hope Laundromat, ten minutes from the church, and host Laundry Love. We bring lots of quarters, activities for the kids, and a desire to talk and hang out with our neighbors in Southeast. Upcoming dates: March 5th, April 2nd, and May 7th. To participate, contact Jennifer at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Monthly Sandwich Making: preparation and distribution of bag lunches for our homeless neighbors on the first Sunday of the month.
- Family Nights in partnership with Capitol Hill Group Ministry when families from Christ Church and from CHGM supportive housing program come together for food, fellowship and activities. Upcoming date: Nov. 21st
- Collecting non-perishable foods and toiletries for Progress for Christ Baptist Church (across from Marion Park) for weekly collection. Leave non-perishable foods and toiletries in the toy chest by the organ or in the blue collection basket as you enter the Parish Hall.
- Donation of back-to-school back pack of supplies (August)
- Collection of food baskets at Thanksgiving (November)
- Collection of toys for children of parents in Community Action Group recovery program (December)
The Outreach Committee also plans several adult forums a year to educate the parish on poverty issues. Our Fall forum will be Oct. 16th at 10am; we will have a presentation by Safe Familes for Children/DC127. Past forums have explored homelessness and affordable housing in DC, food security in DC, and international development programs through the Heifer Project.
- Capitol Hill Group Ministry (CHGM)
- Church of the Brethern
- DC Central Kitchen
- Progress for Christ Baptist Church
- Bread for the City
Capitol Hill Community Quilters